Bacterial Skin Infections
- It is caused by infection/inflammation of hair follicles
- It causes red bumps(papules) with yellow heads (pustules)
- Itching is common
- HIV causes non infectious ( immune-eosinophilic) folliculitis
- Causes & treatment:
- Staphylococcus (most common)—>Antibacterial washes+- Topical and or oral antibiotics (Bactrim or Clinda)
- Klebsiella (prolonged Acne treatment complication)—>Ampicillin or Cipro
- Pseudomonas (hot tub)—>self limited,may use Cipro
- Yeast (Malassezia)—>topical antifungal
- Mite (Demodex)—> causes Rosacea like rash—>Permethrin
Abscesses and Boils
- These are deeper skin and soft tissue infections
- The simple folliculitis can progress to form deeper and larger pocket of infection we call Furuncle or Boil.
- Boils are usually surrounded by a rim of irritated inflamed skin and are quite painful
- Boils or Furuncles can coalesce to form a larger infection (Carbuncle) with multiple draining tracts.
- Carbuncles can be associated with fever and malaise
- The most common cause is Staph Aureus
- The primary treatment is incision and drainage
- Oral anti Staph antibiotic is recommended for severe infections with fever in addition to incision and drainage
- It is caused by either Staph or Strep
- It is a superficial skin infection usually seen in children in the face area characterized by redness and honey color crusting
- Bullous impetigo is less common , is caused by Staph releasing a toxin that damages the skin causing flaccid blisters
- If the skin ulcerate the lesion is called Ecthyma
- Treatment is cleaning the skin with soap and water to remove the crust +- topical antibiotics +- oral antibiotics
- It is a superficial, non pus producing, spreading infection
- It is usually caused by Strep or Staph
- Risk factors are trauma, ulcers, poor circulation, diabetes or leg swelling
- Erysipelas is superficial cellulitis usually affecting the face.
- Mild: oral antibiotics
- Severe: IV antibiotics and if necrotizing—>surgical consultation
Medical Care One is an urgent care and walk-in clinic in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
Urgent Care Online: We offer Telemedicine. Visit Urgent Care Near You – No Appointment Necessary.
COVID-19 testing Center: PCR nasal swab or Anti body blood test with 24-48 Hour-results. Onsite COVID-19 Rapid Test with Results in 15 minutes.